Share your best images of nature in urban spaces on Instagram and you could win a new Canon DSLR camera worth R32999 or one of four monthly camera bundle prizes worth more than R8000 each!
What you could win
How it works:
The more time we spend indoors, behind our desks and in front of screens, the less aware we become of the natural world. For many, ‘the environment’ that we’re so often urged to protect has become something that exists ‘out there.’ Yet the truth is that in all the cities of the world, nature and wildlife is present. Making an effort to find them, teach our children about them, and integrate them into our world is a great motivator for us all to be a part of protecting that environment. It could also land you with some hot new camera gear. Win / win.
For top tips on how best to capture wildlife in urban spaces, check out our Masterclass (page 24) in the April issue of Getaway, where we ask Sam Hobson how he gets shots like this.
How to enter:
Post an image to your own Instagram account, tag @GetawayMagazine and include the hashtag #MyCanonWorld in your caption. The top five images each month (selected by a panel of judges) will be featured on the Getaway blog, and the five best overall images, including the winner, will be announced online and in the September issue of Getaway magazine.
Still not sure what sort of photos to share? Here’s a quick guide:
- Images that highlight the natural world in our urban spaces.
- Flora: this can be anything from beautiful tree-lined streets, a flower growing through a crack in a pavement, grass reclaiming an derelict building, you get the picture.
- Fauna: you’ll be surprised how much wildlife there is around you if you just stop and look around. Birds, squirrels, frogs and countless other species have adapted to urban environments. Find them!
- Insects: you bet! Ants, butterflies, bees and, yes, even those pesky house flies – they’re all very much part of our urban environment.
What doesn’t work?
- Photos of your pets. Yes, we know they’re adorable, but save those for Facebook.
- Animals in zoos. No thanks. They didn’t choose to be there.
- Wildlife in nature reserves and national parks. We already have a competition for that. Head over to getaway.co.za/photography to find out more.
What the judges are looking for (consider this your cheat sheet)
Good composition: We’re looking for the images that best utilise (or break) the rules of photography to create a stunning visual composition.
Emotion: Images that combine colour, subject matter and unique techniques that grab our attentions and make us look twice are the picture
Storytelling: Every image has a story. We’re looking for images that best tell the stories of the world around us.
Environmental message (important): We’re looking for beautiful images that highlight how nature can co-exist, and more importantly, better our urban environments. Enter an image that leave our judges thinking about how we can all do more, in our individual and collective capacities, to facilitate that, and you’re well on your way!
Getaway’s standard terms and conditions apply.