For a taste of tropical Mozambique at home, try these delicious recipes or visit one of South Africa’s best peri-peri-influenced restaurants.
- Wok-fried calamari with mango and toasted almonds
- Steamed coconut pudding with coconut ice cream and chilli and pineapple jam
Mozam food closer to home
- Mo-Zam-Bik has branches in Ballito, Benoni and Randburg and offers fusion food inspired by the cuisine of Mozambique and Portugal. Sip on Laurentina beer while you tuck into peri-peri chicken and chocolate rissoles. Tel 032-946-0979.
- Toni’s on Kloof Street in Cape Town is a laid-back restaurant with traditional Portuguese food, such as beef trinchado and feijoada, and delicious Mozambican curries. Tel 021-423-7617.
- Carla’s in Muizenberg is a favourite with Capetonians for its cosy atmosphere and unpretentious dishes. Go for the peri-peri prawns, caldo verde or steak, egg and chips. Tel 021-788-6860.
by Lisa Johnston
Mozambican-born SÃ£o Hoffman has been feeding hungry shoppers from her yellow caravan in the parking lot of the Mbombela (Nelspruit) Game and Pick n Pay complex for the past 12 years. Regular customers will vouch that you won’t fi nd a better prego roll anywhere in Mpumalanga. Be prepared to be patient – SÃ£o’s pregos are very popular and the lunchtime queue starts well before midday.