Join this safari for an incredible introduction to some of Botswana’s most game rich areas. Journey into a wilderness where your only neighbours will be a remarkable density of wildlife. Meander through the Chobe National Park, Savute, Moremi Game Reserve, through the world-famous Okavango Delta and onto the vast Makgadikgadi Salt Pans. Experience the call of the wild, camp fire camaraderie and sunsets that truly have to be seen to be believed. For those hoping to explore Botswana on a budget, this is the perfect safari for you.
Cost of Botswana Budget Mobile Safari
- R16 650 per person sharing (29 March-19 Dec 2018)
* Departing every Thursday with a minimum of 2 pax
- Comfortable walk-in tented accommodation in a 2.5 metre bow tent with built in floors and mosquito gauze at windows and entrance
- Approx 40-50mm sleeping mattresses
- Shared ablution facilities consisting of bucket shower and bush loo
- Licensed and experienced professional guide for the duration of your safari
- Game drives on safari and mokoro trip in the Okavango Delta
- Transportation in custom made safari vehicle
- All entrance and camping fees within the national parks & game reserves
- Dedicated guide and cook as well as local mokoro polers in the Okavango Delta
- All activities as specified in the itinerary
- All meals from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 7
- International flights and airport taxes (can be arranged)
- Sleeping bag, pillow and towel
- Laundry and bathroom amenities
- Travel, cancellation and medical insurance (essential on all safaris) – Please ensure that you have comprehensive medical emergency evacuation cover
- Optional activities (Chobe boat cruise in the morning on the day of departure from Kasane, Okavango scenic flight with a fixed wing of helicopter)
- Water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages – these can be purchased in Kasane prior to departure.
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities
Botswana Budget Mobile Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Thursday-Kasane to Chobe National Park
The safari vehicle will collect you from the Zimbabwean border at 11am and will then proceed to Kasane to meet any other guests at Kalahari Tours and Coffee Buzz at 12.30pm. Spend the afternoon on a game drive in Chobe National Park which is world renowned for large herds of elephant. The Chobe River Front boasts an impressive bio-diversity of species including Lion, Hippo, Buffalo and Puku, Wild Dog and Sable Antelope. Arrive early for a Chobe Boat Cruise and meet the rest of the group at 12.30pm
Day 2: Friday-Savute, Chobe National Park
Chobe to Savute is approximately a 4-6 hour drive via the village of Kachikau. From here we drive on 4×4 tracks through the Chobe Forest Reserve via Gcoha Gate. We arrive in Savute around midday for lunch. A dominant feature of Savute is the Hills, one of which has a few preserved San Bushmen paintings which are easily accessible on your afternoon game drive. Savute has a healthy population of leopard who live on the hills & the best time to see them is either first or last light. The Savute Channel now flows into the marsh for the first time in over 30 years turning the Savute Marsh into a veritable paradise for birds & animals.
Day 3: Saturday-Savute to Moremi Game Reserve
Departing Savute early morning, the drive takes 4-5 hours but is hugely dependant on local conditions and arrive in Moremi around midday for lunch. You will spend the afternoon on Game Drive. Moremi area is one of the most beautiful and varied reserves found on the African continent with huge diversity of wildlife and incredibly beautiful scenery. We camp for the night in either the Khwai, Xakanaxa, 3rd Bridge or South Gate area. The campsite for the night will be in the Moremi Game Reserve or the surrounding community managed wildlife management area.
Day 4: Sunday-Moremi Game Reserve to Maun
Moremi Game Reserve to Maun is approximately a 4-5 hour drive. The safari packs up & leaves camp following an early morning game drive and will enjoy a picnic lunch en-route to Maun arriving mid to late afternoon.
Day 5: Monday-Maun to Okavango Delta
Maun is the gateway to the Okavango Delta. Today we venture out into the ‘Delta’ in mekoros (dug-out canoes) experiencing the myriads of waterways and secret lagoons. The mekoros are poled by polers from the local villages. The Delta is a huge inland water system dotted with thousands of islands that are a haven for a diverse array of wildlife. This is a unique environment where dry land and water collides. The group will leave Maun early morning and spend 3-4 hrs. In the delta and return to Maun between 2-3pm.
Optional activities include a scenic flight over the Okavango Delta in a fixed wing aeroplane or helicopter. Alternatively a horse ride can be arranged. A scenic flight is highly recommended as it gives you a bird’s eye view of the Okavango Delta.
Day 6: Tuesday-Maun to Makgadikgadi Salt Pans
From Maun we travel to the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans approximately a 4-6 hour drive – vast shimmering salt flats on the edge of the Kalahari basin. Season dependant we stop for lunch at Chapman’s Baobabs also known as the seven sisters and reputed to be one of the largest trees in the world. The last night is spent sleeping out under the night sky under a blanket of stars on the pans near Nata (seasonally dependant).
Day 7: Wednesday-Makgadikgadi Salt Pans to Kasane
The drive from the pans to Kasane is approx 350km which takes roughly 4-6 hrs. This is a transfer to reach the border at approximately 1 pm. The safari will pack in the morning and head for Kasane via Nata. We pass through an agricultural area known as Pandamatenga, which is the only crop producing area in Botswana. Look out for elephant and sable antelope between Pandamatenga and Kasane.
Terms and conditions
- A one way transfer may need to be arranged at an additional cost based on the flight arrival schedule.
- Although we make every effort to adhere to schedules, itineraries and activities, these are subject to change in light of changing local conditions (weather and roads) as well as availability.
- Full participation is required including tents, showers and toilets. This tour visits the best of Botswana’s Northern Parks and Reserves in a 7 day circular route be advised that you will spend a large amount of time in the vehicle.
- Minimum 2 persons with a maximum of 12 pax per departure.