2017 Getaway Gallery Competition
Win equipment and travel to the value of R202 100!
We’ve changed things up this year by introducing three categories for entry: Wildlife, Landscapes, and Culture. The winner of each category will score an equipment bundle, while the overall winner (chosen from those categories) will go on to win the title of Getaway Photographer of the Year and a travel prize to Botswana. We also have monthly prizes up for grabs!
Entries close of the 15 October 2017 and the winners will be announced in the January 2018 issue of Getaway Magazine. Entries submitted after the 15 October 2017 will automatically qualify for entry into the Getaway Gallery 2018 Competition.
Send us your best images of African wildlife, people and landscape images. You can find more information about our image criteria here.
Online Prize valued at R16 140
Every month we’re giving away a bonus prize to the image with the most votes. Head over to the monthly Getaway Gallery to vote for your favourite image this month!
Wildlife Prize valued at R28 385
Bundle includes: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Lens, Manfrotto MMXPROA3 Monopod, Lowepro ProTactic 450 AW Backpack in limited edition Camo.
Landscape Prize valued at R29 790
Bundle includes a Parrot Bebop 2 FPV Kit with Parrot Bebop 2 Drone and Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens.
Culture Prize valued at R27 785
Bundle includes a Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens, Lowepro Flipside Trek BP 450 AW Backpack and Manfrotto Befree 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head.
Overall Gallery winner
Travel prize valued at R100 000
Advanced Wildlife Workshop for two to Botswana aboard a luxury, dedicated-photography houseboat.
The Chobe River in Botswana is one of the richest wildlife and photographic environments in Africa. It’s best seen from the water, and what better way than to float gently past on Pangolin Safaris’s luxury houseboat? You and your partner could be one of the lucky ones to visit this beautiful place for five full days, whilst being taught advanced photographic techniques by Gerhard “Guts” Swanepoel, head photographic guide, Pangolin co-owner and past winner of the Botswana Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
This prize includes:
- Advanced Wildlife Photography Workshop hosted by Guts for the winner and his/her companion, for travel in 2018.
- 4 nights on the Pangolin Voyager Houseboat (full board) for the Gallery winner and his/her chosen travel companion
- All drinks including soft drinks, water, local beers, wines and spirits
- Domestic flights to OR Tambo airport if needed
- Two return flights from OR Tambo to Kasane Airport
- Transfers to and from Kasane Airport
- All associated taxes and bed levies
Terms and conditions
- African citizens/foreigners with permanent residency, work visas, critical skills visas or long-term residency visas in an African country or its islands are eligible to enter this competition.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age. Entrants expressly declare that they are duly authorised to participate in the competition.
- All caption, personal and technical information that is requested must be supplied by the photographer.
- Photographers must have taken the image that they submit themselves and be able to supply RAW or original files when requested. Photographers must receive permission in their private capacity to photograph any subject matter (be it human or animal) before entry to the competition. Getaway and Gallery sponsors bear no legal responsibility for images published or used in the Gallery structure.
- We do not retain copyright to your photographs outside of the Getaway Gallery structure (Gallery monthly feature in the Getaway magazine, Best of Gallery social media posts, Best of Getaway Gallery coffee table book and Gallery Calendar). Your details will be credited alongside your photograph wherever featured.
- Images that have won, or placed, in any previous photo competitions, locally or internationally, are not permitted.
- Images must have been taken within six months of submission.
- If an image has been published in print, or online, within the six months of it having been taken, information thereof must be supplied along with the image when entering. Judges reserve the right to exclude any images that they deem have been used, and appeared, extensively.
For subject matter
- Only subject matter taken in Africa and its islands are eligible for entry.
- Harassment of both people and animals or destruction of the environment in pursuit of an image will not be tolerated.
- Images will be rejected should there be any baiting and/or manipulation of animal behaviour to the advantage of the photographer. Animals must be free-roaming and not held in captive or restrictive environments, even for rehabilitation purposes. Images taken from hides will be accepted.
For image editing
- Images must accurately and realistically represent the natural world. Minimal editing will be allowed within the following guidelines: Normal processing of RAW and JPEG images (minor adjustments to colour, contrast, gradients, sharpening, noise reduction and HDR) are acceptable. HDR composites and panoramic stitching will be allowed so long as the final image bears a realistic resemblance to the original scene. No cloning, additions or removal of subjects from an image will be allowed. Cropping must be kept to the minimum – images with a cropping factor of greater than 30% of the original image will be judged negatively. We will request the original RAW or JPEG file if any queries arise.
Prize terms and conditions
- Prizes are non-transferable, and no cash alternatives are available.
- Prizes are only deliverable to African postal addresses.
- Prize excludes flights/transport to and from OR Tambo International Airport.
- Travel to Botswana must be undertaken in 2018 within the date guidelines set out by Pangolin Safaris. Travel dates to be announced.
- In order to secure your travel dates, it is recommended to book your ticket at least four months prior to departure.
- Winner must have valid travel documents (passport, required visas and relevant health certificates) and insurance.
- The closing date for entries is 15 October 2017. The judges cannot accept responsibility for late entries.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Multiple winners may be subject to a tie-break to decide an outright winner.
- Getaway may re-allot prizes if we are unable to contact selected winners. Please ensure that you provide the correct contact details.
- Prizes not claimed within three months will be forfeited.
- Any deviation from the rules and/or attempt to manipulate the outcome of the prize will result in disqualification.
- The winner’s details and winning photograph may be released, performed or displayed to the public by Getaway or the sponsors of this prize. The winner’s details will be credited alongside the photograph wherever featured.
- By entering into this competition it is deemed that you have read and understood these rules.