Enter the 2018 Getaway Gallery Photographic Competition in association with Canon
This year’s Getaway Gallery Competition winner is in for a holiday of a lifetime to one of Africa’s most photogenic destinations: Madagascar. Enter and win a trip for two to Nosy Be, Madagascar worth R64262 and Canon gear worth R38999!
The winner, plus a partner, will fly from Johannesburg to Nosy Be in Madagascar, courtesy of Airlink. Airlink operates direct flights to Nosy Be on Sundays and seasonal flights Wednesdays.
Once there, they’ll be taken to Sakatia Lodge on Sakatia Island. Set between the ocean, a natural rainforest and mangroves, the lodge offers the quintessential island holiday.
There is much to do on this little sliver of heaven: Madagascar is rich in biodiversity, on land and in water, so there’s incredible diving and snorkelling, hikes through the forest, touring the mainland, horseback riding and, in season, whale watching. The lodge itself is set on a pristine beach, with plenty of palm trees and shade and private nooks to relax in. A week in paradise awaits the winner of this competition.
The grand prize worth R62262 to Madagascar includes:
• two return air tickets (incl. taxes) on Airlink from Joburg to Nosy Be, valid for one year 2019 (excl. prime seasons);
• full board accommodation for two at Sakatia Lodge in a three-bedroom Beachfront Villa (four friends can join the winner at no extra cost, but must pay for flights and food);
• return airport transfers;
• introduction to diving with two dives per person;
• guided walk of Nosy Sakatia;
• dinner, including a bottle of wine, on the beach;
• 1 Canon 6D MkII DSLR camera;
• 1 Canon 24-105 IS STM lens.
The second prize worth R27999 includes
The third prize worth R14999 includes
One Canon EOS M6 mirrorless camera and a 15-45 kit lens.
Reader’s Choice prize
In addition to standing the chance of winning these prizes, entrants could win a monthly Reader’s Choice Award which goes to the image with the most votes on Getaway’s Facebook page.
Each month, one week before the magazine hits shelves, we’ll post the top 10 images selected by our judges online. From those, our judges will have chosen the top five images that you’ll find in the magazine the following week (and go into the running for the amazing grand prize) and you, the reader, will be able to vote for your top images too! The image with the most votes at the end of each week will win a year’s print subscription to Getaway Magazine.
How to enter
The 2018 Getaway Gallery competition in association with Canon is in full swing. Send us your best images of African wildlife, people and landscape images.
Email your entries (about 1MB in size, max five a month) with your name and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a title, some information on how and where you took the image, and details on the camera make and model. You can find more information about our image criteria here.
Terms and conditions
- African citizens/foreigners with permanent residency, work visas, critical skills visas or long-term residency visas in an African country or its islands are eligible to enter this competition.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age. Entrants expressly declare that they are duly authorised to participate in the competition.
- All caption, personal and technical information that is requested must be supplied by the photographer.
- Photographers must have taken the image that they submit themselves and be able to supply RAW or original files when requested. Photographers must receive permission in their private capacity to photograph any subject matter (be it human or animal) before entry to the competition. Getaway and Gallery sponsors bear no legal responsibility for images published or used in the Gallery structure.
- We do not retain copyright to your photographs outside of the Getaway Gallery structure (Gallery monthly feature in the Getaway magazine, Best of Gallery social media posts, Best of Getaway Gallery coffee table book and Gallery Calendar). Your details will be credited alongside your photograph wherever featured.
- If your image has won, or placed, in any previous photographic competition, information thereof must be declared upon entry. Similarly, images that have been published, either in print or online, must be accompanied by a declaration (please include details of publication and date). Judges reserve the right to exclude any images deemed to have been used or appeared in public extensively.
- If your image is chosen for publication by another entity after having been selected as a Gallery finalist, please notify the Gallery Team immediately.
- You may not enter the same image into the Gallery competition more than once.
For subject matter
- Only subject matter taken in Africa and its islands are eligible for entry.
- Harassment of both people and animals or destruction of the environment in pursuit of an image will not be tolerated.
- Images will be rejected should there be any baiting and/or manipulation of animal behaviour to the advantage of the photographer. Animals must be free-roaming and not held in captive or restrictive environments, even for rehabilitation purposes. Images taken from hides will be accepted.
For image editing
- Images must accurately and realistically represent the natural world. Minimal editing will be allowed within the following guidelines: Normal processing of RAW and JPEG images (minor adjustments to colour, contrast, gradients, sharpening, noise reduction and HDR) are acceptable. HDR composites and panoramic stitching will be allowed so long as the final image bears a realistic resemblance to the original scene. No cloning, additions or removal of subjects from an image will be allowed. Cropping must be kept to the minimum – images with a cropping factor of greater than 30% of the original image will be judged negatively. We will request the original RAW or JPEG file if any queries arise.
Prize terms and conditions
- Prizes are non-transferable, and no cash alternatives are available.
- Prizes are only deliverable to African postal addresses.
- In order to secure your travel dates, it is recommended to book your ticket at least four months prior to departure.
- Winner must have valid travel documents (passport, required visas and relevant health certificates) and insurance.
- The closing date for entries is 15 October 2018. The judges cannot accept responsibility for late entries.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Multiple winners may be subject to a tie-break to decide an outright winner.
- Getaway may re-allot prizes if we are unable to contact selected winners. Please ensure that you provide the correct contact details.
- Prizes not claimed within three months will be forfeited.
- Any deviation from the rules and/or attempt to manipulate the outcome of the prize will result in disqualification.
- The winner’s details and winning photograph may be released, performed or displayed to the public by Getaway or the sponsors of this prize. The winner’s details will be credited alongside the photograph wherever featured.
- By entering into this competition it is deemed that you have read and understood these rules.