This is like a spicy pickled red cabbage that is served hot or cold. The cabbage isn’t overcooked so it keeps its crunchy texture and beautiful deep magenta colour. It is lovely served hot as a side dish with any curry or room temperature as part of a buffet with cheeses & cold meats.
I love food that is versatile and can multi-task, especially useful at this time of year…..
Indian Spiced Red Cabbage
Serves 6, as a side dish, vegan, gluten-free
- 2 tsp coconut oil (or veg oil)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 or 5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 small red cabbage, cored finely sliced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- a handful of green beans, trimmed and halved (optional)
- 2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- salt & black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add in the seeds and curry leaves. When they start to pop add the onion, saute for about 4 minutes then add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook for another minute.
Now add in the green beans, stir for a minute and then add the red cabbage. Stir in the sugar and vinegar and season well with salt and black pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes until you are happy with the texture. Taste and adjust the sweetness with more sugar, the sourness with more vinegar until it is well balanced and add salt if needed. Serve sprinkled with extra sesame seeds.