This recipe serves six to eight.
Ingredients for the lamb
- 1.5 to 2 kg leg of lamb, butterflied (ask your butcher)
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 2 portions of Worldly rub
Ingredients for the Worldly rub
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp onion flakes (you can use fresh onions too)
- 2 tbs dry rose petals (not essential)
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs turmeric
- 2 tbs chilli flakes (leave out if you don’t like hot spicy food)
- 1 tbs tamarind paste (often difficult to find and not essential)
- 3 tbs fresh parsley, fi nely chopped (essential)
- 2 tbs pine-nuts, toasted and ground (could be substituted with cashews or macadamias)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. You can refrigerate the rub in an airtight container for up to two weeks (it’s ideal to make at home before you leave).
Mix the buttermilk and Worldly rub to form a marinade for the lamb (for best results, rub directly into the meat before marinating). Ideally leave overnight, otherwise leave for at least three to four hours. Brush kettle grill with oil. Cook lamb over medium coals for 30 to 40 minutes depending on your preference. Remove and set aside for five to 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
Try these other easy Christmas recipe ideas