The Eastern Cape is brimming with exciting activities. Enjoy the warm waters, tropical weather, green vegetation, and stretches of wild coastline, along with a day of abseiling or a canoe down one of the rivers.
This natural habitat is the perfect road-tripping destination and an excellent choice for spending your festive season. We have compiled a list of ten activities you can do on your road trip.
Also read: Things to do in Hogsback
1. Tsitsikamma National Park: Suspension bridges
Walk along the wooden boardwalk through the trees and along the coastline until you get to the suspension bridges that take you over the Storms River Mouth. The views of the ocean on your one side and the river on your other will take your breath away.
While you’re in the Tsitsikamma National Park, you can also take on the waterfall hike, swim in one of the coves along the walking path, kayak, or visit the restaurant for something delicious to eat.
- Cost: R68 with South African ID/ R272 for international visitors
- Location: Tsitsikamma National Park, Storms River, Tsitsikamma
- Website: sanparks.org
2. Jeffery’s Bay: Sandboarding
Sandboarding Jeffery’s Bay is a company that provides the equipment and an instructor for a two-hour morning or afternoon session. It’s an easy-to-learn activity, that’s fun, with scenic views of St Francis Bay.
- Cost: R250 per adult/ R200 per child under 16
- Location: Marina Martinique, Jeffery’s Bay
- Website: sandboarding.infojeffreysbay.com
3. Addo Village: Addo giant swing
From the Eastern Cape coastline, start moving inland towards Addo Adventures. If you’re an adrenaline junkie, they have the perfect holiday activity for you. Their giant swing is 18 metres off the ground and incredibly fun. They do suggest that you don’t drink too many milkshakes before swinging, though.
- Cost: R250 per adult/ R150 per child under 13
- Location: Addo Adventures, Addo Village
- Website: adrenalinaddo.co.za
4. Hogsback: Abseiling
Keep driving further inland for about three and a half hours, and you will find yourself in the mystical Hogsback area. Known for the Amatola Mountain range, Hogsback has a few more gems ‘up its sleeve.’ Hogback Adventures supplies you with the equipment necessary to abseil down the 35 meter Madonna and Child Waterfall.
- Cost: R350 per person
- Location: 9 Main Road, Hogsback,
- Website: hogsbackadventures.co.za
5. Nahoon: boat ride
Heading back to the coast alongside East London, you’ll be able to take a boat ride on the Nahoon River. This two-hour cruise takes you up and down the river. You can bring your own snacks and drinks, or even make use of the braai facilities as the shoreline passes you by.
- Cost: Between R1 400 – R1 800 for maximum 12 guests
- Location: Riverview Terrace Drive
- Website: cruisenahoon.co.za
6. Areena Riverside Resort: Abby the friendly giraffe
Abby stands for A Big Baby, which is what the giraffe when he arrived at Areena Riverside Resort after poachers killed his mother. You can meet him, feed him, and take a photo with this friendly giant when you visit the resort. Other activities include a quad bike game drive, abseiling, segway tours, or a delicious meal at the in-house restaurant on the river.
- Cost: R164 per person (if more than 4 people) or R600 (for three people or less)
- Location: Corner of Schafli Rd & Glen Garriff
- Website: areenaresort.com
7. Kei Mouth: Horse riding
See the Wild Coast from a different perspective. Wild Coast Horse Riding Adventures offer rides ranging between easy 1.5 hours to 7-day overnight trails. Explore the untouched coastline of the Eastern Cape, visit rural villages, and enjoy the rugged views around you.
- Cost: R495 – R39160 (depending on the package you choose)
- Location: Great Kei River
- Website: wildcoasthorses.com
8. Morgan’s Bay: Walk the cliffs
The cliffs of Morgan’s Bay are something to add to your bucket list. You can drive up to the cliffs, but the walk is so beautiful and allows you to appreciate the views from all angles. It’s only about an hour and a half roundtrip, and if you pack some snacks, you can utilise the perfectly placed benches.
- Cost: Free
- Location: Beach Road, Morgan’s Bay
- Website: morganbay.co.za
9. Mapuzi Caves: Hiking
Take a stunning 3-hour guided hike to the Mapuzi Caves. Enjoy the incredible scenery as you go, and try to build up the courage to jump off the 8-meter cliffs into the river. There are also historical caves to explore and you may be lucky enough to spot some of the wildlife in the area
- Cost: R80 per person (Low season) and R12o per person (peak season)
- Location: 1 Main Road, Coffee Bay
- Website: sugarloafbeachhouse.co.za
10. Dwesa Nature Reserve
Teeming with crystal waters, fresh waterfalls, and large herds of grazing herbivores, this haven is the perfect place to spend time on the river canoe. Spend time enjoying the riverside views and the abundant birdlife.
- Cost: R147 for canoe hire
- Location: Dwesa National Park
- Website: wildcoast.co.za
Visit the Eastern Cape Parks and Tourism Agency for more travel ideas.
Follow us on social media for more travel news, inspiration, and guides. You can also tag us to be featured.