Calling all amateur photographers to enter our 2022/23 Getaway Gallery Competition
Four nights for two people on a dream safari in Botswana with Wilderness Safaris valued at R250,000, plus a Canon EOS R7 Mirrorless Camera Body with EF to R Mount Adapter + a Canon RF 100-500mm Lens from ORMS valued at R76 790.
The winner and a partner will be treated to a four-night safari for two people in Botswana, courtesy of African travel stalwart, Wilderness Safaris. This holiday-of-a-lifetime includes nights spent at one of Wilderness Safaris’ Classic Camps and includes all meals and game drives and internal air transfers. The value of this prize is US$15 129 (R250,000) and will be available for our grand prize winner to undertake between November 2023 and May 2024. The Classic Camps collection in Botswana includes such celebrated safari lodges as Little Vumbura, Chitabe Lediba Camp, Kwetsani Camp and Savuti Camp.
The grand prize winner will be awarded a Canon EOS R7 Mirrorless Camera Body with EF to R Mount Adapter + a Canon RF 100-500mm Lens from ORMS valued at R76 790.
Second prize will receive a Canon EOS R10 Mirrorless Camera Body with EF to R Mount Adapter + a Canon RF 100-400mm Lens valued at R27 990
Third prize will receive a Canon PowerShot SX70 Camera valued at R10 395
How to enter the 2022/2023 Getaway Gallery competition:
Send us your best images of African wildlife, people and landscapes. Entries will be accepted up to and including 1 June 2023.
- The entrant must be an amateur photographer, enthusiast or serious enthusiast. Full time professional photographers are restricted from entering.
- African citizens/foreigners with permanent residency, work visas, critical skills visas or long-term residency visas in an African country or its islands are eligible to enter this competition.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age. Entrants expressly declare that they are duly authorised to participate in the competition.
- All caption, personal and technical information that is requested must be supplied by the photographer.
- Photographers must have taken the image that they submit themselves and be able to supply RAW or original files when requested. Photographers must receive permission in their private capacity to photograph any subject matter (be it human or animal) before entry to the competition. Getaway and Gallery sponsors bear no legal responsibility for images published or used in the Gallery structure.
- We do not retain copyright to your photographs outside of the Getaway Gallery structure (Gallery monthly feature in the Getaway magazine, Best of Gallery social media posts, Best of Getaway Gallery coffee table book and Gallery Calendar). Your details will be credited alongside your photograph wherever featured.
- If your image has won, or placed, in any previous photographic competition, information thereof must be declared upon entry. Similarly, images that have been published, either in print or online, must be accompanied by a declaration (please include details of publication and date). Judges reserve the right to exclude any images deemed to have been used or appeared in public extensively.
- If your image is chosen for publication by another entity after having been selected as a Gallery finalist, please notify the Gallery Team immediately.
- You may not enter the same image into the Gallery competition more than once.
For subject matter
- Harassment of both people and animals or destruction of the environment in pursuit of an image will not be tolerated.
- Images will be rejected should there be any baiting and/or manipulation of animal behaviour to the advantage of the photographer. Animals must be free-roaming and not held in captive or restrictive environments, even for rehabilitation purposes. Images taken from hides will be accepted.
For image editing
- Images must accurately and realistically represent the natural world. Minimal editing will be allowed within the following guidelines: Normal processing of RAW and JPEG images (minor adjustments to colour, contrast, gradients, sharpening, noise reduction and HDR) are acceptable. HDR composites and panoramic stitching will be allowed so long as the final image bears a realistic resemblance to the original scene. No cloning, additions or removal of subjects from an image will be allowed. Cropping must be kept to the minimum – images with a cropping factor of greater than 30% of the original image will be judged negatively. We will request the original RAW or JPEG file if any queries arise.
Prizes terms and conditions:
- Prizes are non-transferable, and no cash alternatives are available.
- Prizes are only deliverable to African postal addresses.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Multiple winners may be subject to a tie-break to decide an outright winner.
- Getaway may re-allot prizes if we are unable to contact selected winners. Please ensure that you provide the correct contact details.
- Prizes not claimed within three months will be forfeited.
- Any deviation from the rules and/or attempt to manipulate the outcome of the prize will result in disqualification.
- The winner’s details and winning photograph may be released, performed or displayed to the public by Getaway or the sponsors of this prize. The winner’s details will be credited alongside the photograph wherever featured.
- By entering into this competition it is deemed that you have read and understood these rules.