A group of Cape Town teenagers stranded in Europe after competing in the prestigious Donosti Cup in Spain have finally begun their journey home, thanks to a community-driven rescue effort involving local donors, church leaders, media personalities, and the Western Cape government.

Image source: Ricardo McKenzie/Facebook
The group had travelled with the BT Football Academy to participate in the internationally recognised Donosti Cup, held annually in San Sebastian. But logistical and financial hurdles left the teens stranded abroad, unable to afford return flights to South Africa, as reported by Times Live.
In a WhatsApp message shared with parents, Department of International Relations and Cooperation spokesperson Clayson Monyela confirmed:
“All your kids are coming home. The last 16 people will leave Lisbon on Wednesday at 10.30pm and arrive in Cape Town on Thursday at 2pm.”
Travel dreams turned turbulent
According to a statement from BT Football Academy, the initial travel plans were in order before departure.
“Before departure, all essential elements of the tour, including accommodation, food, tournament registration, and other logistical requirements, were paid and secured,” said the academy.
However, visa delays meant flights couldn’t be booked early at affordable rates.
“Despite our early attempts to begin the visa process, we were granted appointments much later than planned. As a result, visas were received a week before departure, which made securing affordable return flights nearly impossible,” the statement continued.
Still, the young players competed with determination.
“The boys and girls successfully participated in the Donosti Cup, showcasing skill and sportsmanship.”
When it became clear that return flights were unaffordable, the academy arranged extended accommodation and meals through the tournament organisers. But concern and frustration among parents in South Africa quickly grew.
ALSO READ: South African winter family breaks that don’t involve screens
The rally to bring them home
Stepping into the gap was Cape Town radio personality Tracey Lange, who helped spearhead a public fundraising campaign to get the teens home. She partnered with Pastors Dane and Tersia Mesane of Christ Culture Church, whose involvement proved instrumental.
In a Facebook statement, the Mesanes said:
“We are humbled and honoured to have partnered with the incredible Tracey Lange and her team in a life-changing mission to bring 25 South African youth and three coaches safely home.”
They confirmed that the final payment for all 28 flight tickets was processed at 2:55pm, with confirmation received shortly afterwards.
“As the major sponsor, we covered about 95% of the total flight costs. A total of R54,000 had been received through public donations by the time of payment,” they added.
The Mesanes also extended gratitude to the South African embassy, TAAG Airlines, and the South African community in Portugal for their assistance. They further praised Lange:
“Your heart, leadership, and determination anchored the mission from beginning to end. This is more than a rescue; it is a testimony of what can happen when a nation chooses unity over division.”
Government steps in
Western Cape MEC for Cultural Affairs and Sport Ricardo Mackenzie travelled to Portugal to personally support the group.
“I have landed in Lisbon and am with your children. We decided to step in because we believe your children’s well-being and safety must come first. I assure you there will be accountability, but our focus is firmly on getting your children home safely,” he assured parents in a message.
About the Donosti Cup
The Donosti Cup is one of the largest grassroots football tournaments globally, drawing youth teams from across the world each July. Though the tournament experience itself was a proud moment for the young athletes, it’s the overwhelming community response that has become the lasting memory of this journey.
Thanks to a combination of public generosity, faith-based support, media involvement, and government action, what began as a distressing situation has ended in relief—and a powerful story of unity in action.
Follow us on social media for more travel news, inspiration, and guides. You can also tag us to be featured.
TikTok | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
ALSO READ: Cape Town celebrates its most successful cruise season yet
