72-carat yellow diamond found in Lesotho

Posted on 9 April 2019

Over the weekend, a 72-carat yellow diamond was recovered from Liqhobong mine in the Maluti mountains. Firestone Diamonds owns 75% of the mine and the remaining 25% is owned by the Kingdom of Lesotho.

A 22-carat makeable white stone and an 11-carat fancy light-pink stone were recovered along with the giant yellow diamond. According to Firestone, the three stones will go on sale in May.

Chief Executive Officer Paul Bosma said, ‘It was a good weekend for us, recovering the 72-carat diamond as well as the two smaller, high-quality stones from within the northern lower-grade part of the pit. These recoveries will certainly assist in supporting the average value of the next sale in May.’

Earlier this year, a 70-carat white diamond was also recovered and sold in March at a record price for a diamond from Liqhobong mine.




Image source: Twitter @FDIplc

yoast-primary - 1004431
tcat - Travel news
tcat_slug - travel-news
tcat2 - Travel news
tcat2_slug - travel-news
tcat_final -