Home Affairs adds extra passport application categories

Posted by Anita Froneman on 28 July 2020

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) has announced four extra categories for which passport applications will be accepted.

They are:

– Applications by citizens who need to take up employment abroad

– Applications by citizens who need to be reunited with their families abroad

– Applications by citizens who need to take up permanent residency abroad

– Applications by citizens who are abroad and need to renew their passports

To apply for a passport, you must submit the following:

– A duly completed passport application Form DHA-73

– Your original identity document and a copy, or a birth certificate and copy thereof if under 16

– If under 18 years, parental consent for issuing of the passport. Please see Tourist passports: persons under 16 for the requirements

– A completed determination of citizenship Form DHA-529  when applying from abroad

– Present any existing valid tourist passport or if you have lost your passport or it has been stolen and you are applying for a new passport, you must provide a loss of passport report (DHA-335 ) and confirmation that you reported the loss to the police

– Two colour photographs that comply with the Passport and ID Photograph Specifications (NOT needed at smartcard offices as ID images are captured digitally)

– Pay the prescribed fee for the passport

The DHA reminded citizens that its regular contact service is not currently operational. For more information, visit the website  or contact the service numbers below.

Image credit: Getaway gallery

yoast-primary -
tcat - Travel news
tcat_slug - travel-news
tcat2 -
tcat2_slug -
tcat_final -